- For Madrasi Daal Powder
- Oil : half teaspoon
- Whole Red Chili : 10
- Fenugreek Seeds : quarter teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds : 1/8 teaspoon / a pinch
- Coriander Seeds : 1 tablespoon
- Poppy Seeds : half teaspoon
- Curry Leaves : 3-4
- National Garam Masala : half teaspoon
- National Turmeric Powder : quarter teaspoon
- National Iodized Salt : 1 teaspoon
- For Madrasi Daal
- Red Lentil (lal masoor) : half cup
- Yellow Lentil (moong dal) : half cup
- Oil : 4 tablespoons
- National Garlic Paste : 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes (chopped) : 3
- Madrasi Powder : 2 teaspoon (above)
- National Iodized Salt : to taste
- Mixed Vegetables : 1.5 cup (Bottle Gourd, Eggplant, String Beans, Potato (cubes),Green Peas & Lady fingers)
For Madrasi Daal Powder
In a dry frying pan, roast the whole red chillies till they darken. Add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, poppy seeds and curry leaves; toast for 1 minute. Using a spice/coffee grinder, grind to a grainy powder. To the ground mixture, add National Garam Masala, National Turmeric Powder, and National Iodized Salt. This can be stored in an air-tight jar.
For Madrasi Daal
Wash and soak the lentils for about 30 minutes.
In a large sauce pan cook the tomatoes with National Garlic Paste till they soften.
Add both the red and yellow lentils to 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat low and cook with the lid on for 30-40 minutes or till they get mushy. Blend in a food processor to a fine thin consistency, or if desired mash using the back of a wooden spoon for a slightly chunkier texture.
Now add 2 teaspoons of the explained madras dal masala, National Iodized Salt, and vegetables; cook till vegetables are soft.
Add more water if it starts to dry out; bring to a boil. It should have a soup-like consistency.
Give tarka by crackling National Cumin Seeds, whole red chilies, chopped garlic and curry leaves in heated oil. Pour over the daal and enjoy the aromatic Madrasi Daal Sabzi with rice!
Try this Madrasi Daal Sabzi Recipe!
This recipe is taken from Madeeasy.